Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
Mikaela Shiffrin is golden again.
Four years after Shiffrin burst on the scene with a gold medal in the women’s slalom, the 22-year-old American blitzed the competition Thursday and opened her stay at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, with a masterful winning run in the giant slalom final.
NBC Olympics @NBCOlympics
GOLDEN GIRL Mikaela Shiffrin takes gold in giant slalom! #BestOfUS #WinterOlympics https://t.co/KX4CHncv2t https://t.co/zHJudPT4i0
Norway’s Ragnhild Mowinckel took silver and Italy’s Federica Brignone managed bronze.
An overview of the final standings can be viewed below, with results for all participants available through the Olympics’ website:
- Gold: Mikaela Shiffrin (United States) – 2 minutes, 20.02 seconds
- Silver: Ragnhild Mowinckel (Norway) +0.39 seconds
- Bronze: Federica Brignone (Italy) +0.46 seconds
- 4: Viktoria Rebensburg (Germany) + 0.58 seconds
- 5: Marta Bassino (Italy) +0.67 seconds
Shiffrin was considered to be in the mix for the po