Kevin Hoffman/Getty Images
The Buffalo Sabres secured the first overall selection in the 2018 NHL draft by winning the lottery Saturday in Toronto. The Carolina Hurricanes and Montreal Canadiens will pick second and third respectively after winning the night’s other lotteries.
After those teams, the rest of the top 15 is set by using the reverse ranking of the regular-season standings. The playoff teams will be placed into the order based on how far they advance in the postseason. The Stanley Cup champion gets pick No. 31.
Let’s take a look at an updated first-round mock draft following the lottery results. That’s followed by a closer examination of the best players available in the 2018 class.
Round 1 Predictions
1. Buffalo Sabres: Rasmus Dahlin, D, Frolunda (SHL)
2. Carolina Hurricanes: Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Barrie (OHL)
3. Montreal Canadiens: Filip Zadina, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)
4. Ottawa Senators: Evan Bouchard, D, London (OHL)
5. Arizona Coyotes: Brady Tkachuk, LW, Boston University (NCAA)
6. Detroit Red Wings: Oliver Wahlstrom, C, USA NTDP (USHL)
7. Vancouver Canucks: Adam Boqvist, D, Brynas (SHL)
8. Chicago Blackhawks: Quinton Hughes, D, Michigan (NCAA)
9. New York Rangers: Joel Farabee, LW, USA NTDP (USHL)
10. Edmonton Oilers: Ty Smith, D, Spokane (WHL)
11. New York Islanders: Barrett Hayton, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
12. New York Islanders (from CGY): Joe Veleno, C , Drummondville (QMJHL)
13. Dallas Stars: Rasmus Kupari, C, Karpat (FEL)
14. Philadelphia Flyers (from STL): Jesperi Kotkaniemi, RW, Assat (FEL)
15. Florida Panthers: Noah Dobson, D, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)
16. Colorado Avalanche: Isac Lunderstrom, C, Lulea (SHL)